Tuesday, May 22, 2012

SPQR -Sono pazzi questi Romani

I have in recent months attended 2 meetings of the We are Church movement. On both occasions, the meeting was very slow to warm up, but when it did, it was very exciting.

As said in a previous post, this group, and others like it in other countries, is a group of committed catholics who are questioning aspects of the catechism that seem to conflict with the central christian message. In particular they have identified 5 areas where most catholics would agree the (man-made and antiquated) catechism is wrong and contradicts the christian message.

I have been particularly impressed with one woman who said on the first occasion I was there: " the only thing I can control is myself". Last night she said, "We can't change them (the catholic hierarchy), but we can refuse to be changed by them". This woman is a great inspiration to me, a true revolutionary, using nothing but self-determination to fight the vast Roman church. The humility and confidence of a seemingly frail lady is truly awesome.

I am a little pessimistic that change will come about, but at least I want to be on the right side of the debate. I intend to go back again.

The group is holding a pentecost celebration in the Davenport hotel this Sunday at 3pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment