Thursday, May 17, 2012

Grid West consultation 17/5/2012

Grid West consultation 17/5/2012 -http://www.eirgridprojects.com/media/6424%20Study%20Area%20Rationale%20010512.pdf
Dear sirs/madams,
Before making my observations, I would like to express my great excitement at the proposal to develop a high quality grid infrastructure in the NorthWest. This area, for historic reasons, has been one of the poorer areas of the country, with consequently less facilities than the rest of the country. It is a constant struggle to attract industry to the West, and a stable, high capacity electricity supply is one of the most important factors for the future catch up of the region with the rest of the country. I am delighted that you are beginning this process, and I hope that it progresses quickly.

1.       I would like to advocate that the connections built, be of a high capacity. The approval of power lines has become controversial in recent years, and I fear that if an inadequate grid is installed in this process, it will be even more difficult to expand it later, than it would be right now. Therefore, I would urge that the connections to Flagford and Cashla, should be of an ambitious capacity, to allow for future industrial growth, without necessitating a return to the planning process.
2.       I would like to advocate that both connections be advanced simultaneously, or if this is not possible, that detailed planning and permission be sought for both. Even if there is only money for one line, I would like to see the other well planned, and disputes with local landowners ironed out in advance –so that when money does become available, the second line can proceed smoothly and quickly.
3.       If only one line can progress at first, I would advocate Flagford –Bellacorick. The Cashla route already has a direct connection to bellacorick –albeit small- and building this connector will only increase capacity. Whereas, the flagford route, is not replacing a direct connection, and will therefore, not only increase capacity, but improve the robustness of the system too. Flagford seems the most beneficial of the two routes –though, obviously, both should be built.
4.       I am a little sceptical of the future of massive windfarms. I suspect we are experiencing something of a bubble in this area at present. Large scale wind is only one of numerous renewable energies that will be available in future, and it is not at all clear that it will be the cheapest/most successful. I believe that the grid should be designed with the possibility of distributed generation from small scale wind/pv/hydro outfits in mind. We need a grid, capable of absorbing such distributed power sources if and when they become available. I do not have the technical expertise to comment on what would be necessary for large scale distributed generation, but I believe it is crucial we prepare for it as it is likely to become a major power source. In particular, I would like to point out, that distributed generation has a great advantage in terms of access to capital; far in excess of large scale projects. The technology already exists and simply needs to come down in price for a massive increase in this form of power being made available to the grid. We must prepare today for this.
5.       Finally, I would like to point out that a new broadband connection is to land in Belmullet soon. There is scope for data centres and other connection heavy enterprises to develop in Mayo on foot of this. These centres are often very energy intensive, and the sooner this grid is developed, the sooner we can set to work attracting such high end, high profit businesses to the region. I urge that the project proceed quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment