Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Martin Schulz elected President of the EP

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/content/20120106FCS34949/3/html/Martin-Schulz-elected-President-of-the-European-Parliament


I'm a little dismayed by this result. Martin Schulz is a very different kind of President to what has gone before in the Parliament. I'm not a fan of his.

I suspect his election has more to do with his nationality (German -at a time when the European institutions are desperate to have german backing) than his political pedigree. Hopefully, he will try to be less divisive and condescending now that he is in office -but I doubt it.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to take this all back. Schulz has been a very sober and presidential leader of the EP. I have been very pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete